Credits - Minimum Number of Credits for Degree Types
The minimum number of credits required for each degree type are (quarter credits):
- Baccalaureate (B.A./B.S.)—A minimum of 180 earned credits which must include 36 credits within the major; 24 of which must be at the upper-division level
- Masters (M.A./M.S.)—45 graduate credits, including thesis (6 to 12 credits) or research-in-lieu-of-thesis (3 to 6 credits). See OSU Catalog, General Requirements for master's degree programs.
- Doctoral (Ph.D.)—no rigid credit requirement; the equivalent of at least three years of full-time graduate work beyond the bachelor’s degree (at least 108 graduate credits) See OSU Catalog, General Requirements for doctoral degree programs.
- Undergraduate minor—27 credits; 12 of which must be at the upper-division level
- Option—21 credits; 15 of which must be at the upper-division level
- Undergraduate certificate—27 credits
- Post-baccalaureate certificate—27 credits
- Graduate certificate—18 credits. See OSU Catalog, Policies Governing Graduate Certificate Program.