- APAA Home
- Academic Programs
Baccalaureate Core Assessment Grants Awarded for 2013!
The Office of Academic Programs, Assessment and Accreditation (APAA) is pleased to announce the two awardees for the 2103 Baccalaure Core Assessment Grants. Each proposal was awarded $5000 to conduct assessment work across multiple Bacc Core courses in thier units.
Comprehensive Assessment of Mathematics Baccalaureate Core Learning Outcomes
PI: Thomas Dick, Professor and Chair
This project focuses on three elements: (1) implementing and analyzing the results of common assessment items specifically keyed to each of the three Baccalaureate Core Learning Outcomes for each of the Mathematics courses in the Baccalaureate Core (MTH 105, 111, 112, 211, 241, 245, 251, and 251H); (2) video-taping lectures and recitations looking for connections between instruction and baccalaureate core learning outcomes and exemplars of direct instruction and student engagement that support those learning outcomes; and (3) based upon the videos, creating a professional development module to support Math 111 instructors and graduate teaching assistants.
Identifying a “Common Core” for Writing Skills Assessment in Engineering WIC Courses
PI: Tracy Ann Robinson, Director, Pederson Communication Collaboratory, College of Engineering
Using surveys and round-table discussions, this project will first identify a core set of qualities considered by OSU engineering faculty and industry stakeholders to be hallmarks of effective engineering writing. It will then benchmark current levels of emphasis on, and student achievement in (via assessment samples), these “common-core” writing skill areas in engineering WIC courses (ECE 441-443; IE 497-498; ME 497-498; CBEE 414; BEE 469-470; CE 418).
Grant Request for Proposals from APAA
Faculty Travel Grants in Support of Student Learning Outcome Assessment: The Office of Academic Programs, Assessment and Accreditation (APAA) is requesting applications from OSU faculty members to support development and enhancement of assessment of student learning at OSU. Eligible uses of funds include conference or workshop participation (presenting is not a requirement), or visits to institutions. The primary purpose of the trip must be to learn about assessment methods that can be imported for use at OSU for the purpose of improving assessing student achievement of learning outcomes. This includes course or program level assessment, including assessment of the Baccalaureate Core.
- Additional details
- Contact, Bill Bogley, Director of Academic Programs, Assessment & Accreditation, 541-737-7463, email@example.com
- PROPOSAL PERIOD: There is a rolling proposal deadline. Initial award announcements can be made as early as February 1, 2013. Proposals will be accepted until June 15, 2013. This RFP will close when available funds have been committed.
Assessment at OSU
Assessment at Oregon State University is committed to facilitating continuous improvement of undergraduate and graduate student learning by creating an institutional culture of Student Learning Outcome (SLO) based assessment and developing a shared vision involving faculty, students, and administrators.
Our mission is to support all academic departments/units and academic support units in their efforts at SLO based assessment to enhance the quality of all educational programs. Oregon State University is committed to providing our students with the best learning opportunities through student learning outcomes based assessment and pertinent improvements.
Guiding Principles for Student Learning Outcomes based Assessment
- It is an ongoing process and embedded throughout the University
- It includes transparent, and credible evidence to guide improvements
- Effective strategies are in place to showcase SLO based assessment in the University
To help achieve its mission, the Office of Assessment is committed to:
- Developing and maintaining University wide assessment plans for all programs
- Facilitating effective communication and training programs for faculty
- Collecting, analyzing and reporting assessment data
- Ensuring compliance with Accreditation and other regulations and requirements