Once a Category 1 proposal is prepared, it goes through review by several committees and councils. Before submission to the CPS, the proposal will be reviewed by the Academic Programs Committee to identify issues and omissions.
Category I proposals are used to designate major curricular changes that require approval at the state level (Oregon University System Provosts' Council, Chancellor's Office or Oregon State Board of Higher Education). There are two types of Category I proposals: Full and Abbreviated.
Submit a Full Category I Proposal for:
- New Degree Program
- New Certificate Program
- Substantive Change to Existing Program
Submit an Abbreviated Category I Proposal to:
- Establish: a new college, school, department or program.
- Extend: an existing program to a new location.
- Merge or Split: an academic program or academic unit.
- Reorganize: move responsibility for an academic program from one unit to another.
- Suspend or Reactivate: an academic program or academic unit.
- Terminate: an academic program or academic unit.
Online Delivery of an Existing Program:
Review Process for Ecampus Proposals
Enter a new proposal or look up one already submitted.
- Signed Transmittal Sheet (form)
- Executive Summary
- Library Evaluation (see policy)
- Liaison Comments: Internal to OSU (Format for Letter or E-mail of Liaison)
- Letters of Support: External to OSU
- Accessibility Form - read and signed (form)
- Faculty CVs
- Budget---NEW---Effective Jan. 1, 2013, all Category 1 budgets must be prepared in collaboration with a Business Center. Consult the Budget Preparation Instructions for further details and contact information.
- Budget Preparation Instructions [docx|doc]
- Oregon University System Budget Form Word [docx|pdf]
- OSU Internal Budget Worksheet Form Excel [xlsx]
- OSU Internal Budget Worksheet Example [xlsx]
- OUS Budget Form Examples:
- Academic Programs Committee Preliminary Meeting
- Library Evaluation
- Budget and Fiscal Planning Committee Review
- Graduate Council Review
- Curriculum Council Review
- Faculty Senate Approval via FS Executive Committee
- OUS Provosts' Council
- External Review (if grad)
- Oregon State Board of Higher Education
- Campus Announcement
Follow-Up on New Programs:
If your Category I proposal is for a new degree or certificate program, there will be a three-year and a five-year follow up review to ensure that adequate progress is being made toward the goals of the program. Both reviews will be initiated by the Office of Academic Programs, Assessment and Accreditation. See Policy on Three- and Five-Year Year Follow Up Review.