This handbook presents a composite of information about the evaluation and accreditation of postsecondary institutions by the Commission on Colleges of the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges. It includes:
- general information about accreditation, its nature, purposes and agencies involved;
- the eligibility requirements for Candidates for Accreditation and accredited postsecondary institutions;
- a procedural guide outlining the Candidate for Accreditation process;
- a procedural guide outlining the accreditation process;
- standards and guide for self-study;
- a compilation of policy statements and guidelines relating to accreditation; and
- a glossary of words and terms in accreditation.
Member postsecondary institutions are routinely provided two copies of the Handbook for the chief executive officer and the accreditation liaison officer. Institutions preparing for initial accreditation or reaffirmation of accreditation are provided ten to twenty-five copies depending on the type and size of the institution. Additional copies may be purchased by accredited or candidate institutions for $10.00 each. Others may purchase the publication for $12.00. Handbooks to be sent overseas will be $12.00 per copy plus postage, prepaid. The Handbook is available on a floppy disk as well for the prices listed.
For ease of understanding, statements throughout the Handbook which are in bold and italic are requirements [with the exception of web links] of the 1992 Higher Education Amendments, and the Procedures and Criteria for Recognition of Accrediting Agencies promulgated by the U. S. Secretary of Education.