College Notebook Outline
- Home web page
- History/Description/Appraisal/Projection (i.e. where the college is going)
- Programs and Educational Activities
- Interdisciplinary Programs
- International Activities
- Off-site Programs
- Curriculum Development
- Undergraduate Research
- Graduate Student Support
- Faculty Development Opportunities
- Promotion and Tenure
- Investments in Research
- Guidance and Growth
- Public Documents: newsletters, advertisements, anything you wish to showcase, etc.
- Internal Documents: student information or advising pamphlets, policies, etc.
- *** Budget information
- *** Web home page
- What are the missions and goals of the college? Describe how these contribute to the mission/goals/values of the university. These are on the web at http://osu.orst.edu/mission/. (Notice that you are not asked for a formal mission statement. Include it if you have one; otherwise informally describe the mission of your unit.) [Ė 1 page]
- Give a brief history of your college over the past 10 or 15 years. Describe the present situation of the college. What are you most proud of ? [2 Ė 3 pages]
- Give an appraisal and analysis of the collegeís strengths and challenges. [3 Ė 5 pages]
- What are the strategies, plans, and projections for the immediate future (for example the next 3 years)? Include copies of documents similar to a long-range or strategic plan. (A suggested proportion for these last few questions is History 10%, Description 15%, Appraisal and Analysis 50%, and Strategies and Projections 25%.) [2 - 3 pages]
- How is planning conducted within your college?
- Provide an organizational chart of your college. Describe the committee structure and responsibilities. Provide administrative CVs for administrative and academic support.
- If your college has an external advisory board, give the membership and their positions in the community. Include copies of the board minutes or related information.
- Anything you wish to showcase.
- *** What major(s) and minor(s), both undergraduate and graduate, and certificate or licensure programs are offered by your college (and NOT by a department)?
- What do you expect students to learn and experience in each of these academic programs? What assessment/evaluation tools do you use to ensure that these learning outcomes have been achieved, that is, how do know that these expectations have been met? Fill out the attached Education/Program Assessment table for each academic program. Do NOT include programs that are offered by a single department.
- Describe international programs and partnerships.
- Describe any offsite or distance education offered by your college.
- What investments have been made by the college in curriculum and program development?
- *** What are your enrollment trends in your programs (both graduate and undergraduate) over the last five years?
- *** What are your graduation rates over the last five years (graduate and undergraduate)?
- What scholarships are available in your college? Describe the process for making this information available (include any written material) and for awarding them.
- How is undergraduate and graduate student advising conducted in your college? Include, for the appendix, copies of student handbook(s) or URLs used in advising and informing students.
- Describe any undergraduate scholarship or research supported by your college.
- How are graduation audits conducted within your college?
- What investments are/have been made by your college to attract, retain, and educate graduate students?
- Briefly describe up to three examples of the institutional and public impact of faculty scholarship in your college. If this scholarship has resulted in a publication, CD, video, etc. (e.g., the "Poverty in Oregon" publication recently appearing in Oregonís newspapers), please include a copy of it.
- Provide up to three examples of significant artistic creations, scholarly activities, or research activities conducted by faculty in your college during the past five years.
- Summarize involvement of your collegeís faculty with public services or community services.
- What faculty development opportunities are supported by your college?
- Describe the process your college uses for P&T recommendations?
- *** What is the success rate for P&T?
- What investments are made by your college in scholarship and research?
- What are several of the most significant service activities by the faculty in your college for the last five years.
- Describe the process you use to evaluate the departments and chairs in your college?
- What department(s) do you feel especially proud of? Why?
- What strategies do you employ for guidance and growth of the departments in your college?
- What methods do you use for resource allocation within your college?
- Describe any outreach and recruiting activities by your college.
- What strategies and priorities do you have for development?
- *** What development opportunities have materialized in the last 5 years?
- Describe the success and/or remaining challenges in taking full advantage of these opportunities.
- *** What are your priorities for future development possibilities?
- Fill out the attached Equipment and Materials Questionnaire.
- What are your priorities for facility improvements?
- Describe any important aspects or activities of your college, not covered above.
- Provide any of the information, documenting or supporting these aspects or activities.
- Provide any surveys or focus group results.
- Provide any public information such as documents, newsletters, advertisements, CDs, videos, web resources, anything you wish to showcase, etc.
- Provide any internal information such as documents, newsletters, advertisements, CDs, videos, web resources, anything you wish to showcase, etc.
- *** Budget sheets and information
Education/Program Assessment Table
Indicate whether your department/program has or provides each of the following forms of education and/or program assessment. For each item to which you answer "yes", please attach a description of the assessment or other appropriate existing documentation. Complete a separate page for each academic program with your unit.
|External Advisory Board
|Written Student Learning Objectives (either course or program)
|Nationally normed or locally developed exit or competency exams
|Senior Research Papers
|Graduate Student Performance reviews
|Student Assessment of Teaching
|Peer Assessment of Teaching
|Student Assessment of Advising
|Peer Assessment of Advising
|Exit Interviews of students
|Current student assessment (survey)
|Post-graduate assessment (alumni surveys)
|Employer assessment (survey)
|Other, please specify
Standard 8-Equipment and Materials Questionnaire
8.B.1. Quantity and quality of equipment to facilitate the achievement of educational goals and objectives of the institution.
Does your college have computers for student use? ____ If yes, complete the following:
- Number of computers under two years old accessible to students. ____
- Hours/day accessible. ____
- How many have network connectivity? ____
- Do any computers have hardware or software to accommodate disabilities? ____ How many? ____
Do you have computer classrooms? ____ How many? ____
Do you have classrooms equipped with scientific instruments? ____ How Many? ____
Rate the following as to quantity or quality: (1=inadequate, 2=adequate, 3=exceeds needs, N/A)
Is the space for the computing labs adequate in size to meet educational goals? ____
Is the space for computing labs appropriate for itís intended use? ____
Are the computing labs adequately equipped to meet educational goals? ____
Are the computing labs accessible enough hours of the day? ____
Is the space for the teaching labs adequate in size to meet educational goals? ____
Is the space for teaching labs appropriate for itís intended use? ____
Are the teaching labs adequately equipped to meet educational goals? ____
Are the teaching labs accessible enough hours of the day? ____
Is the space for the research labs adequate in size to meet research goals? ____
Is the space for research labs appropriate for itís intended use? ____
Are the research labs adequately equipped to meet research goals? ____
Are the research labs accessible enough hours of the day? ____
Is there adequate A/V equipment in your college to meet your educational and/or research goals? ____
8.B.2. Equipment maintained in proper operating condition, inventoried and controlled, and replaced or upgraded as needed.
Do you have adequate resources to maintain computer, A/V, or scientific equipment in proper operating condition? ____
Is your computer, A/V, or scientific equipment maintained in proper operating condition? ____
Is your computer, A/V, or scientific equipment inventoried? ____
Is there a control system in place for your computer, A/V, or scientific equipment? ____
Do you have a plan in place to replace or upgrade your computer, A/V, or scientific equipment as needed? ____
Do you have a funding model in place to replace or upgrade your computer, A/V, or scientific equipment as needed? ____
Please include any clarifying statements below: